Saturday, October 18, 2014

Adding Punch to the Goblin Level

New monster based on Slivriss from "Meckwick's Challenge".
Thinking about the goblin level, it feels a bit bland.  I have goblins with bits of technology and weapons made from scraps of tough starship metal, I have a shaman who is leading them on a doomed quest to get to the base of the dungeon, but I want more for what may be the players first impression of the dungeon.

One monster that I created for Meckwick's Challenge with +Random Wizard  was Slivriss, a sort of other-dimensional insect/snake hybrid. He is still one of my favorites, and I thought that creating a variation of him/ his theme as another challenge the goblins and ultimately the characters will face could  help the level.

The introduction of this creature to the level also gives me the ability to introduce a magic sword I have created much earlier in the story. Due to its snake-like form, the monster can travel through narrow spaces, and go "off map" to different locations to attack the players, making the battle with it span several levels and the duration of the adventure itself.  Encounters will be brief, with the monster retreating whenever it takes damage. My aim is for the players themselves to hate this bastard, and relish the thought of eventually trapping and killing it.

-Aaron




No comments:

Post a Comment