Monday, January 12, 2015

How my attempts to reduce the size of an adventure lead to a stand alone game set in a completely different genre...

This is how it happened...I started by taking an old mega dungeon idea I had and trying to shorten it to an adventure I could conceivably finish in my lifetime. I started fleshing out the "big boned" skeleton I was left with and created a pretty dismal mining town with some secret sci fi stuff buried in a nearby mountain.  I came up with a ton of ideas about the aliens themselves, and even started making other alien species that could be crammed into the dungeon.  

Then I had an idea that involved some "which way/ Fighting Fantasy" elements, and I started trying to figure out how to do it without having a conspiracy theorist web of yarn and passages written on index cards pinned to my basement wall.  I messed around with inklewriter and some other programs, and ended up making the "trope-o-matic" just to test out the program.
The Star Yeti Playable Species

I really liked some of the ridiculous "classes" and races I came up with, and, well, I have been working on a sci fi game ever since.  I have been working with a pared-down version of Fate, really more like the Fudge rules with luck points at this point in time, and adding some classic fantasy elements like "classes". I will be adding more info on the game, and throwing up more sketches in the coming days..

-Aaron





"Fungus Man" Playable Species

No comments:

Post a Comment